Friday, January 13, 2017

Another Winter Storm

Is this number 5 or 6.  This is very un-western-Oregon-ish weather for sure.  Winter in this country is clouds and rain with temps in the high 40s and low 50s.  Not this season.  Tuesday night we went out for our time with our granddaughter Ellie.  Coming out of the shopping center, I was surprised ( I guess I should not have been) to see it was blowing and snowing.  So we had a quick supper and took her back to her house.  As we drove south the temperature hovered at 34 and the moisture was a mixture of snow and rain.  I walked the boys when we got home and the rain increased to heavy by the time a got around the block.  It was still raining when we went to bed, but 15 miles north in Sellwood it was snowing vigorously.   I woke up at 3am and thought that I had left the back light on because it was so bright outside,  Nope, just snow.  Portland received 10-12 inches.  We got 2.
    It is still around.  The daytime temps have been near 32 and the sunshine has cleared the main streets but the side streets are still patchy.  The real danger areas are the parking lots and sidewalks.  Walking around the neighborhood I bet less then 20% of the sidewalks are shoveled.  Lack of shovels, age or sickness, but I would guess mostly laziness.  The forecast next week is for "normal" weather (rain, 50's) so the current crop of snow ans ice should disappear.

No comments: