Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Flying the US Flag

 We have been coming to Cape Blanco for many years.  We have volunteered here 4 times and just camped many more.  During that time one thing that has always bothered me is how the flag has been displayed.   There is a certain etiquette in the flying of the United States flag.  It is either flown from sunrise to sunset or flown 24 hrs a day which requires a light to shown on it during the night.  Here the flag was up there at the top of the pole, day and night.

  Finally it bugged me enough to mention it to a ranger about three weeks ago.  I suggested that she bring it up at the next ranger meeting .  Nothing happened right away.  I was tempted to bring it up to the superintendent but I just waited.  Last week on my evening walk around the campground loop with the boys, I noticed a change.  A light !!  Shining up !  The flag is now lit at night.  It made me smile when I saw it that night. Overdue but not in the dark any longer.

 


No comments: