Monday, August 1, 2022

An Interesting Day Yesterday

   Sunday was the last day of July.  Our first month is over.  One month to go. We enjoy what we do here and the other places we have volunteered.  We really like meeting the talking with our visitors, customers, guests, fellow volunteers.  We have a very large pool of memories and friends because of our adventures.

    However,  yesterday had some interesting challenges.  There were three guys with fishing gear heading down over the edge of the peninsula that is normally off limits.  Then the flying of the drone from the area near the tower.  ( Also not ok)  Both not a big deal.  The third incident was more challenging.  

   As I was in the tower telling a young couple about the Funk lantern, I was interrupted by a fellow who burst into the tower.  When I asked for his Ticket ( the tour ticket is required to get to come in and learn about the life of a lighthouse keeper and his family.)  He nearly exploded with profanity in stating his unhappiness with the total system.  Having to pay money to come inside the lighthouse. Not being able to go up into the tower. Having to walk over from the parking lot.  Not happy that there was a truck, (my truck) here and he had to walk.  " If I had a knife, I would puncture those tires"  Then he took my picture with his phone and walked out.

  He proceeded to walk down the greeter, Dennis, and fill his ears with his diatribe before heading back to the parking lot and his vehicle.  I continued my tour with the couple, but Randa and I were stunned.  What should we have done?  We have been told not to push the issue.  Not to antagonize of inflate the event.   We didn't.   But what should we do now?  Who should we now call to let them know what happened?  It was an awakening for all of us volunteers.  We need to be aware of "emergency" procedures.  We need to "Be Prepared".


  

    

No comments: