Friday, October 16, 2020

A New Roof

 We are in the process of getting a new roof.  This is the second roof in two weeks.  Maybe I should start at the beginning.   We have been thinking about a new roof for a couple of years.  Our house was built in 2000 so the roof is 20 years old.  Sadly, that is the average time for a 30 year roof.  Our neighborhood is a prime hunting area for roofers.

   So I checked Home Advisor online and clicked that I wanted to get estimates on a new roof.  I had my first call within 5 minutes !  The second 5 minutes later.  The third call was about an hour after that.  They must have an alarm that goes off when someone hits the button.  I had five estimates on my roof.  Our house is single story, 1800 + square feet.  Estimates came in from 15500 to 42500.  The high priced guy was very ambitious and long-winded.  We were shocked at his first outrageous bid (which included gutters) and after our saying "No way, Jose", started backing off.  After pealing away, layer after layer ( gutters, remove shed from bid, military discount, etc, he ended up at 22500.  They were still too high.  Talking with other vendors and a neighbor who had gotten a bid from them, we found out the Da Bella is known for their high pressure tactics.  That style does not work with us.  We tend to back away.

   After reviewing the five vendors we chose NW Builders.  They were about the same as the others and we liked the representative, Oren.   Several days after we picked, Oren called and told us they would start tomorrow.  Great.  The crew came as promised but was not up to par.  After five long days ( and even some evenings), they had not completed the job.   The owner, Tommy, came to me on Saturday evening and said" I am ashamed of this job.  This is my company name and my livelihood. This crew has messed it up and is going to be fired.   I will come back next Wednesday and tear it all off and do it again the right way. "   

   I was shocked.  I did not expect him to "step up to the plate " and make it right.  This Wednesday a new crew came and tore the new roof off and started fresh.  A huge job and a huge expense to the company, but the right thing to do.  I respect Tommy for it.  Two days to re-strip the roof. Today they started installing the shingles.  Luckily the weather has cooperated and offered no rain until Saturday evening. 

 Stay tuned for the final report.

No comments: