Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Appointment

   After getting a call from my heart doctor in Phoenix, telling me that my blood test had shown an abnormality so started calling my local Veterans Clinic.   After many phone calls I finally received a call from the Vets Clinic here in Yuma.  I will be standing at the door of the clinic tomorrow at 8am.  Our dental appointments are for 9 and 10.  When done we will hit the road.  Friday should find us in Nevada, south of Las Vegas.
   The other result of my visit to the cardiologist is an additional prescription to my list.  I am going to a new customer of Eliquis.  Talk about sticker shock!!!!  I do not have prescription insurance so I have initiated getting it added to my veterans prescription list.  Until then I have to figure out how to get the meds I need at the most reasonable price.  I called both Walmart and Costco to get their prices.  60 tablets ( one months supply) is right at $400.  $400 per month !!  How does someone without insurance take care of their needs.
    With this problem in mind I asked the pharmacy in Algodones about Eliquis.  The same amount in Mexico costs $75.  $75 !!!!!!  That's 19% !!!  Can you believe it?  Do you think we are getting taken advantage of???  
     Not knowing if the medication will work or that the side effects will be minimal.  ( The PA said that she and the doctor like E because it has the least side effects.  So I need to decide how much of the medication to buy tomorrow.  One month, two months....

No comments: