Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Museum of the Pacific

   Located downtown Fredericksburg.  Tickets are good for 48 hours.  You need it.  It is huge!  There is a small Japanese submarine displayed.  Every 10 - 15 minutes, an professional quality audio/ visual program about the attack on Pearl Harbor plays on the wall behind the sub.  Very moving.  Displays also include a B-25, the propeller fighter, a damaged Australian tank, and several anti aircraft guns.
   The museum is very well done, but the extent of it causes the visitor to be overwhelmed.  Room after room, after room tell and show the story of war in the Pacific, island after island, some of which I had never heard of.  I found myself bypassing whole displays because my short attention span had been used up.
   I exited the main hall and found a temporary display of original World War II art by Texas artist Tom Lea.  Here are a few.  Excuse the quality as they were taken by a cellphone.


No comments: