Saturday, August 4, 2012

Home in Eugene Aug. 4, 2012

The problem with being home is that there are three million things that need to be done on the house and yard and not enough time to get going on most of them when we are home for such a short time.  So we did the big things, weeded and trimmed and called it good.
  I was going to try to get the trailer polished while it was sitting in my driveway, but a more pressing problem cropped up.  When I went to put out the bedroom slide I flipped the switch the wrong way ( which I have done before) and instead of hearing the motor grunt, I heard a clunk. ( not a good sound to hear from a piece of machinery).  I immediately reversed the switch and the slide started to open.  However, instead of doing it smoothly like it has for the last five years, the motor hesitated every six inches or so.  I tried it in the other direction with the same result. (Again not a good thing).  After calling several RV repair facilities, "We can't get you in for several weeks." I finally found one that had room for me.  So I took it in on Monday July 30. 
   The clunk and the jerks meant two problems, a broken gear and broken motor.  Good news; it can be fixed and it is covered by our maintenance policy.  Bad news; the motor is not in stock anywhere so has to be made at the factory in Iowa.  5-10 days to get it made and shipped.  Our departure date is on hold. 
    We have had some maintenance situations this year, but I am not complaining.  The trailer tire did not disintegrate while we were on the highway.  The water pump did not totally go out while we were on the ET highway a hundred miles from no place.  The front brakes pulsed but still slowed us coming down the mountains.  They have been replaced.  And now the slide.  The problem could have happened anywhere that we have been.  Instead it did it in our driveway.  Wow!

No comments: