Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Selling memories

   R and I are parked at our property in Bandon.  As I sit here in the trailer writing this looking out the window at the tall grass blowing in the wind, my mind remembers many happy days spent at the beach with the boys.  I walked the beach this morning.  I went to the state park just south of the Sunset Beach Motel and took the trail down to the water.  It has changed very little in all the years we have been coming here.  The ocean is just as beautiful.  The waves continue to roll in, the rocks are still as magnificent.  The tunnel through the rocks is still there.  It still has a small puddle in it that you have to watch out for when you walk through it. 
   I tried to find the place where the boys and I found the cave in the rocks.  I think I located the formation, but I could not find the opening.  Perhaps it is filled with sand.  But the memories of the skinned knees and pinched fingers did make me smile.

   Our financial advisor has suggested that if we were to sell the property here, our retirement funds would be greatly improved.  Selling this place is easier said than done.  It was easier to say “Let’s put it up for sale” when we were sitting at home, than it is while we are parked here and can see the ocean from where I am sitting in the trailer writing this.  If people were clambering for beach property and the money would be extravagant, it might make it easier, but the market is weak, at best and the memories are strong.

   What to do.  What to do.

No comments: