Friday, May 27, 2011

Loading for the next "go round"

   It is time to get the rig loaded for our next adventure.  We head out tomorrow, Saturday morning for the Oregon coast.  We will spend Memorial Day weekend at our property in Bandon and then drive down to Port Orford on Tuesday or Wednesday to start June at Cape Blanco State Park.  We will be giving tours of the lighthouse for the month of June.  I really like the duty there because it is easy, it is gorgeous, and people are very jazzed to be able to walk up the tower and be in close proximity to the actual light.  It is a Kodak moment if there ever was one.  I will be including some pictures when we get there and start our duty.
  Anyway, the prep had begun.  The loading has begun.  The dogs have sensed that something is up and they are nervous.  "Are they leaving soon?  Will they take us? "
   While we were at Quartsite this year, I was having trouble getting the generator started.  So when we returned to Eugene, I took it to a small engine repair shop to have it checked out.  Well, to make a long story short, it's ailments were fatal.  It was too old and the parts were not available.  So I started to search for a replacement.  The ultimate would be either a Honda or Yamaha 2000 or 3500 watt.  But a 2000 is about $1000.  We don't use one enough to warrent that expense.  I searched used.  ($250- $500).  In the end I went to Harbor Freight and got a 2200 watt for $299.  But if I purchased a Buyer card for $20, I could get it for $249.  Duh!!  So I got a brand new generator, of course it's probably made in China) for $269.   On the way home I stopped and opened the box and took it out so that I could get it fueled.  When I got home I filled the crankcase with 5w-30 motor oil and tried to start it.  After reading the directions,  ( can you imagine?) it started on teh second pull of the rope.  Yes !!
We will use it this weekend because out lot does not have power. 
    Cool and rainy is the forecast and the weather guys are usually right when they say it is going to rain.
 

No comments: