Friday, May 27, 2011

Car Dealers

   I hate going to a car dealer.  New or used they are cut from the same cloth.  If you are dropping by to increase your knowledge, good luck.  I am convinced that if it meant the sale of a car, they would tell you that the sky is polka dot.
   This week I went to find out about some of the new vehicles out there.  I was interested in the new Chevy Volt and while at a Chevy dealer, the new Chevy Cruse.  The guys at Top Gear have tested and like the new Ford Fiesta so that was on my list.  I talked to someone at Bimart who was driving a Honda Fit.  She loved it and was getting around 40 mpg, so it went on my list.  I started looking up info on the Internet.  Of course, it pumps you for your indentity.  Finally, I gave it so I could get a price.  I was contacted by the local dealer Kendall who happens to have dealerships covering all three brands here in town.  The email said that it was a real advantage because I could "come in and with one sales person, see and drive all of the cars.  And, while I was there, they would check out my current vehicle to let me know what my trade-in value would be.  Sounded to good to be true, right?  It was.
    I arrived at the arranged time and met the sales person, A.  As we exit the showroom, he asks me what cars would I like to see.  So I told him, though he should have already known.  " Honda Fit?  We don't have any in stock.  Because of the situation in Japan, they are hard to get."  So I asked him about the bronze colored one parked out by the street.  " Oh, that is a used one.  I thought you were looking for a new one."  I informed him that I was trying to find out info on several cars so see " what and if" I wanted to buy in the future.  ( See, they only know the word, 'BUY' )
   So we take the 2010 fit for a drive and it is what I expected.  Nice, but no whistles or bells rang when I drove it.  It seems fine, but I am not "blown away" with it.  Maybe that is a unrealistic expectation with cars at this price range.  Back to the dealership.
     When we arrived back A told me that he was needed inside to sign the deliver a Honda Pilot, but he would find me someone else to help me.   Hmmmm  so much for "one sales person who can show you all of the cars".   I was passed to H who should be loits of help looking at the Chevys because he used to sell Chevys.  As we are walking over we pass the new Volt.  I show interest and H proceeds to tell me all the things that are wrong with it.  We find a new Cruse, get in and H tells me how much better the Honda Civic is than this car.  AT this point I discover that I do not have my drivers license.  'A' had taken it to make a copy so we could go for a drive in the Fit and had not given it back. 
    While we were back in the Honda area, I decided to drive the Civic.  Actually, it was pleasureable.  I'm not happy with how it has increased in sixe.  Honda seems to think bigger is better.  The Civic is a nice car, but it is no longer a small car.  I did like the "Econ" feature.  There is a Ecoc button on the dash with a green tree on it.  Pushing it does some magic things to the car, like lessening the A/C, etc and the mileage is supposed to increase by 2 or 3 mpg.  On the dash on either side of the speedo, are  lights.  When you are accelerating the lights are blue, when you are accelerating, holding the speed, coasting, etc the lights are green.   I liked it because it challenges you to drive differently.  Back to the dealership and good bye to H.
   When I got home I recieved a call from the Ford dealership asking me if I wanted to test drive a Fiesta tomorrow.  " We can look your car over and give you a trade in value while to are driving.  Here is a confirmation number to use.  Give it to any salesman when you arrive tomorrow and he can look you up in the computer and know exactly what you are here for."  Can you see what's coming?
   I arrived at the appointed time.  When I presented my confirmation number, the sales guy didn't know what to do with it.  He showed me both the 2011 Fiesta and the 2012 Focus.  I drove the Fiesta all by myself.  It drives like a small car, which  it is.  Seems very nimble. ( No bells here either, though.)  When I got back the sales guy "T" showed me some the features.  The neatest part of the new Fords is the 'Sync'.  It allows you to talk to the car,  dial phone thru your cell, ask for directions to an address (Garmin without the screen) and recieve oral instructions in return.  I think he said Sync understands over a hundred commands.  Definitely, a plus for Ford.  He also ran an invoice on the car to show me just how little the dealer makes on each car.  If I was to believe him, the dealer makes only around $200 on these small cars.  I am more than a little skeptical.  Time to leave.
   Two days to investigation.  Not a total waste, but less rewarding than I had hoped.  If I do buy a new car I will probably go thru Costco.
   Exterior Photo of 2011 Honda Fit
     

No comments: