Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Stink

The Stink was around for several days.  The smell was there when you entered the trailer.  The smell was outside the trailer.  But I could not figure out the source. 
   Maybe it was the propane tank.  I opened the door and smelled the tanks and connections.  Nope.
   Maybe it was the sewer.  I disconnected the sewer hose where it connected to the ground and smelled.   Nope.
   Maybe it was a dead critter in the storage area underneath the trailer.  So I pulled out every tote and box and looked through the contents.  Nope.
   As I worked my way around to the front storage area the smell got stronger.  I uncovered the batteries.  As I removed the front cover I heard a small sizzling sound.  When I pried up the cover for the battery cells, it was like I uncapped a soda top.  The sizzling sound lowered and a wisp of smoke actually came out of one of the cells.  I peaked into that cell and saw no water in it.  I poured some distilled water into it, but the sizzling continued.  The body of the battery was actually quite warm, almost hot.
   Both batteries were hooked up in series so I disconnected that battery from the system, took both wires off it and hooked the system up to the rear battery only.  It took quite a while for the front battery to cool down.  I am not sure what would have happened if I had not discovered the cause of The Stink.


   Two new RV batteries are on my shopping list.

No comments: