Saturday, October 2, 2010





An Indian Summer day





Today we took advantage of the sun and went exploring the island. We stopped at the downtown market (Kings Market) to check on the selection of soups in their deli. The soup selection was depleted so we had lunch at the nearby China Cove. The Wednesday lunch special is Teriyaki Chicken. It was quite good.





After lunch R & I hopped in the truck and drove out north of town to find some unexplored roads. We drove down several always having to turn around because, other than a few through routes, most are dead end roads, ending at any of the many residential areas along the coast of the island. There are so many fabulous home sites here. One of the sites that many people recognize is the Lime Kiln Light. It is located on the west side of the island. That is Vancouver Island in the distance. The name Lime Kiln comes because lime was quarried on the island and burned. The powdery residue was lime which is the primary ingredient used in concrete. Much limestone was quarried and hundreds of cords of wood were cut to provide fire for its processing.





We did see our first raccoon today, hobbling from the edge of the road into the woods. We were driving out to the county park at the end of Rouleau Road. Reuben Tart by name. A tiny park almost at the end of the road. A steep walk down to the water. A small bit of grass, rock, and a gnarled tree pointing out into the sound. A secret place that most visitors do not know about.





I found a treasure today. We stopped at a local thrift shop on our travels. In a pile of recently donated pots and furniture, I spotted a folded rug. Its colors reminded me of something I had seen in Arizona. I picked it up and unfolded it. It was Navajo, an old one. I can tell by the simple design and earthy colors. Several holes in it that say that it has not been a just a decoration. I wonder what story it would tell me. I just had to have it.

Now the question, what do I do with it? Should I have it cleaned and repaired or just enjoy it as it is? I did run it for 15 minutes in the dryer at no heat and got a lot of hair and dirt out of it. I think it look pretty good, don't you?



No comments: