Friday, May 9, 2014

Caliente to Fallon

Mollie got me up early, so after our walk and her breakfast, I checked email.  I found out that Bob was online, so I had a nice chat with him via Skype.  Skype is a great tool.  I wish my kids could use it so we could keep in touch better.

We left the campground before 9am, traveled through Caliente and was slowly climbing the pass west of town on Hay 93 when I thought of our airbed.  We had not deflated it prior to leaving this morning!  Altitude changes affect the bladders in the airbed and to prevent a split seam (which is what happened the last time we left ORPI and drove to Williams (1600ft. to 7000ft.).  So we pulled off the road, and tried to figure out how to deflate the mattress, which requires electric power to run the pump.  I finally ended up starting the generator and, using an extension cord, was able to deflate the bladders.  A half hour wasted.  Back on the road.
 
Our trip across the Extra Terresterial Highway went well.  We saw no evidence of aliens,which just could mean that the cloaking shields were working well.  About 10 miles from the junction of Hwy 375 (the ET Hwy) and US 6 we came upon a older Class C motorhome at the edge of the road. Two people were pouring gas into the tank from a 2 gal can.  There was no place to pull over so we went past, but I was concerned because 2 gal was not going to be enough gas to get the 54 miles to Tonopah.  When we got to the junction, we pulled over and had lunch.

About 15 minutes later the rv arrived at the junction, turned, and pulled in behind us.  Three young men got out and came over to talk to us. There were four guys and a gal from New Zealand traveling together in the camper.  I would have loved to have had time to hear their story.   They weren't out of gas but were below a quarter tank.  I told them that Tonopah was 47 miles from there and we all were a bit concerned.  I told them to head out and see if they could make it.  If not I would pick them up on the way.  So they did

We finished our lunch, walked Mollie, and headed out.  We came up on the camper quite quickly as they were driving slowly to conserve fuel, I guessed.  We followed them at 35 - 50 mph for the next 25-30 miles, but they made it and pulled into the first station they came upon in Tonopah.  We honked and waved as we passed by. 

  The rest of the trip was uneventful, which is not bad.  Arrived in Fallon at 5:30, fueled and found an RV park just west of town.  It is 70 miles to South Lake Tahoe so we should arrive there nice and early.  We will hit Costco before we travel "up the hill" on Hwy 50 to the lake.

No comments: