Monday, June 4, 2012

Peaches

Dogs.

  They are funny little creatures who love you unconditionally.  They are happy to see you if you leave them for 10 days or 10 minutes.  The wagging is the same.  If you have been angry with them previously or petted them recently doesn't seem to make a difference either.  It's still,  " Hi Dad.  Boy am I glad that you are home.  Can we go for a walk?  Please?! Please!?

   Today we take Peaches to the vet for the last time.  She is nearly 13 and has not been good for several days and R and I made the determination that it is time.  She and her sister, Mollie, have been part of our lives for 9 years.  When we got them, they had been in a home where there were no rules, no boundaries.  They were a handful and a half.  "What had we gotten ourselves into?"  But we worked hard and things have worked out.  The two of them helped smooth out Winnie's transition into our family routine. 

   Mollie is going with us to the vet.  I think she needs to be there today to say good-bye to her half sister.   I am not sure how she will react to the whole thing.  I am not sure how I will react either.  It will be hard. 
Tuesday, the day after.

   We made the hard decision.  We said good-bye.  The doctor told us what was going to happen.  We could stay for the whole event of leave at any time.  We stayed while the doctor gave the shot and she slowly fell asleep in my arms.  Her breathing was labored even then.  I handed her to the assistant and we slowly walked out to the truck.   Good-bye sweet girl.  You loved to be held.  I will miss holding you in my arms.

2 comments:

Rorik said...

Sorry to read about Peaches. Our future walks around ORPI won't be the same. Sherri sends a hug.

pzljohn said...

So sorry to hear about Peaches, our thoughts are wit you guys. It is a very hard thing to deal with....