Saturday, February 13, 2021

Vaccine

 As most folks I have been trying to find out where and how to get my Covid19 vaccination.  There is a lot of information out there.  There's a lot of mis-information out there.

   If we were in Oregon we would have gotten our shots by now because of blood transfer we do for Red Cross.  They are inoculating the volunteers who help in vital areas.  No matter, we aren't there.

    I am a veteran, I should be able to get my shot through them.  Well, I should, but because I am not in my home area, it is not a slam-dunk.  Each area is run as a semi-autonomous facility.  You have to be registered with an area to get service from that area.  Not the best way to handle traveling vets.  So I have been on hold for long periods only to be told that I needed to contact someone else.

    So yesterday I tried a new source.  I signed up with the state of Arizona.  I filled out the registration for me and for Randa, giving the usual data.  It was pretty straight forward.  Because I checked the box that I was 75  ( 1B), a slot opened up for me in the afternoon.  So we drove to the Gilbert Community College (50 miles) and I received my first shot.  Because Randa is so young, she is 1C .  We are still looking for a slot for her.  I will check the Arizona vaccine line several times a day to get find her an opening.  They come up when vaccines are available and they go quickly.


There were lots of vehicles, but there were also lots of  helpful, smiling volunteers to guide everyone through the maze of orange cones.   It was probably under 45 minutes from the time we entered the parking lot until we drove out the other end, including the 15 minute waiting period to see if you had a reaction.  It ran like a well-oiled machine.  

 Thank you to the many volunteers that helped out.


No comments: