Monday, March 9, 2020

Sunday at the Portal

Sunday was a rainy day.  It started while I was walking the boys in the dark at 5:30 in the morning.  Of course we were at the other end of the park campground so I got soaked on the way home.  The rain continued all day long.  It was raining when Jake picked me up for my job of opening the cave.  We got the Rotunda and Throne Room checked out and ready for the first tour of the day. 
    My "assignment" for Sunday was the cave portal position.  This was my first stint at the cave portal so I really didn't know what to expect.  The cave portal person stays at the cave entrance and is there to be there for assistance, opening the door for the groups going in and out.  More importantly, the cave portal position is there for unforeseen happenings.  I have been lucky enough to not have anything odd happen on any tour I have been a part of.  There have been cases of visitors fainting, or becoming ill, or in some cases, just not being able to be in a cave.  So they need to come out.  When they do come out, they are brought out by a tour guide or trailer.  When this happens, the tour is either stopped or left with only one guide, so by having a person at the portal that can help expedite the exit and transport of the guest back to the visitor center.
    The day went well.  No emergencies.  It rained the whole time so between tour groups I sat next to the space heater and tried to keep warm.  All in all, it was a good thing. 

No comments: