Thursday, December 20, 2012

Last Day of Fall 2012

   It is Thursday Dec 20, 2012 and I'm ready to go.  I mean "I" am ready to go.  We aren't ready.  Most if not all the the tasks to complete before launch are completed with the exception of one.  The trailer is back in the shop.  Remember that I had trouble with the bedroom slide?  Both the track and the gear were missing teeth so were replaced the second week of Aug.  We left for Malheur a day late because the parts had to come from Indiana.  Well, guess what the new gear sheared off three teeth and another is on the way from,--- you guessed it, Indiana.  Warrenty on the part is 90 days and it has been all of 150 days.  Of course the fact that during that time the slide was operated maybe 12 times, means nothing.  Oh well, at least it happened here in Eugene.   I am about to call the shop to see if the gear came in today.  They haven't called me which gives me the feeling that it might be tomorrow.
    Packing the trailer is not going to be a problem.  We done it many times.  The problem involves travel.  Getting the rig across the mountains in winter is an "Iffy" proposition.  My prefered route is Hwy 58 from Eugene, through Oakridge, Willamette Pass and then to Klamath Falls, Alturis, Reno, Vegas, and south.  An alternate roulte is I-5 south over Sisikyou Pass down to Bakersfield and then east over Tehachapi Pass.  That is the route we took last year because of snow in the Cascades.  I prefer the first route because of less traffic and better views.  Also, we can visit our kids in Klamath Falls on the first day and then head out from there the next day.   This year has a twist.  We are having our family Christmas in Klamath Falls on Dec 26-28.  
   See my problem? 

  So the plan is to watch the road reports and checking ODOT/Tripcheck and go when the opening presents itself.  Wish us luck.

No comments: