Thursday, May 24, 2012

Valley of Fire 5.9.12


Valley of Fire,   8pm  Wed 5/09/12



   The sun is down, Venus is up and it is starting to get dark.  I am out at the picnic table behind the trailer typing this.  It is taking longer because I can not see the keys so I miss a few and have to go back often.

    The day was very warm (92 or 93), without a cloud.  A lazy day.  We were late getting in here last night and after showers and a late supper, we were ready for bed.  While R got the meal prepared, I installed the new bladder for the Sleep Comfort/Sleep Number mattress and remade the bed.  It was good to have it back together again.  I had rolled up the foam bed topper and put it in the spot where the air-less bladder occupied.   The idea worked reasonably well, but having everything as it should be was even better.  So, with a full tummy, clean body, and a comfortable bed, all was well with the world.  ZZZZZZ

    As I was saying, after my early walk with the girls, we lounged in bed, ate toast, and watched a movie.  It was a tape of a PBS mystery movie, “Coyote Waits” a very close adaptation of a Tony Hillerman novel of the same name.  I have read a great many of his books and love the feeling of the West and the Navajo people that they feature. 

    Finally, we felt guilty and climbed in the truck for a ride around.  We drove to the other campground nearby called Arch Rock Campground.  It is designed for smaller rigs and has no hook ups, but the sites are wonderful !!  Nestled between rock formations in small canyons and niches, they made me wish for a small rig so that I could camp there.   If you are in the area, check out Valley of Fire and spend a few days in the campground.  The rocks beg to be explored by foot.  The roads thru the area lead to lots of cool areas.
   Tomorrow we leave and head west.  We will again journey along the Extra Terrestrial Highway on our way from Ash Junction and Tonapah.  We made it last time so I am fairly confident that we not be abducted.  I may stop at the Aili Inn this time when we travel thru Rachel.   The plan is to fuel up in Tonopah and then on to Whiskey Flats RV park in Hawthorne.  South Lake Tahoe is a half day from there

No comments: