Sunday, November 28, 2010

Buying a Car II

This week-end we went to Portland. We were there to visit family and friends but an opportunity to check out cars in the metropolitan area. How did it compare to car shopping in Eugene? Actually, it was just more of the same.


Black Friday morning, while the girls were shopping, I called about a XB at a lot. "I want to come and see it. I will be there in a half-hour." "The boss's wife is driving it but it will be here when you get here." Guess what? It wasn't. I waited around for another half hour and still the "boss's wife" hadn't arrived and I was "outta there" never to return.


Another promising car was sold 15 minutes before I called about it. So nothing on Friday. NO shopping on Saturday. So today, Sunday, on the way home, we stopped to check out a Mini Cooper in Salem. Interesting,2002, bright blue with a white top, 90k miles, automatic, a little on the rough side, which means that it shows some wear. It is probably not fair to judge a car that is eight years old, but it has more wear for a 02 than my van does for a 03. Of course there is no owner's manual. I hate that. Why do all used car lots throw away any records from used cars? Finding out how to adjust the clock or what that button does when you move it.


So what does this car need? New tires ( three looked sorta good and one fair. How do you get four tires that way?) The seat belt light is lit. The oil is dirty. ( no big deal) The battery needed a jump to get started. ( Again no big deal) So what next? This car could be OK as a replacement for the Porsche if we choose to go that route. BUT, for that to happen, the dealer has to accept a low-ball price that I have in mind. It is the amount that I sold my Porsche. If it works out, I will have a fun driveable car that I can improve upon. So think positive thoughts. Tell that dealer that he needs to get rid of that car at a semi reasonable price of $7500.


I will let you know how it goes.


No comments: