Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Last Evening Program






Last night was my second evening program, “the Desert Tortoise, Low and Slow”. It went well. Better, in fact. I have added a few slides, including three videos, and have worked on my delivery. The result was a fun evening and, I hope, a fun evening for our visitors too.


As I said I added three videos. The first short one was about food, the second shows a den, and the third was the best. On U tube I found a video of hatching baby tortoises. It was great, so I tried to download. An hour later, I was still without a video. I asked for help from several people here at the park who know more about computers that I do. Still no good results. So I sent an email to the author of the video. The author of the film Stephen Wessell, sent me several DVDs which still would not load onto our computer. This film is produced by the USGS. Please tell me what the US Geological Survey has to do with the desert tortoise. Finally, I got impatient and gave him a call. We talked for a short time and determined that he needed to send me another DVD\. A few days later, I received a package from USGS and there were two DVDs to choose from. In a few minutes a had the video loaded onto one slide on my Power Point program.




As I said the program went well , but it was the last program for the season. Because we are down here in southern Arizona, everyone feels that it may be too hot to be here now. Actually it is quite nice right now. The temperatures were in the 80's and lots of sunshine. The Hedge Hogs are blooming. Both the Saguaro and the Organ Pipe are getting buds on them. A couple of cacti are



showing blossoms. Soon lots of flowers will be decorating the all of big guys, but probably not before we leave this green desert. Our last day of work is the Monday after Easter.



No comments: