Friday, December 24, 2010

Medicare Notes

Next week I come under the umbrella of Medicare. My 65th birthday isn't until the last day of the month but M becomes effective on the first day of the month you turn 65. And so I since we got home in November I have been trying to get my horses in order. Easier said than done.
Because of down-sizing I took early retirement from Pennzoil in 2001 and have been under their retirement wing for medical coverage since. Over the years I have been told by persons on the phone from the provider that when I was eligible for M that this current coverage would become a suppliment. After 2 months of telephone calls and not getting answers, I recieved a phone call yesterday informing me that my retirement medical coverage would end when I became eligible for M or in 8 days.
Luckily I have been to see an agent that handles Medicare insurance. I immediately called and got an appointment to set up a M supplement program and a drug program. It helps to talk to professionals about this part of your life. I did also meet with a volunteer from SHIBA (Senior Health Insurance Benefits Assistance who provided me with more information and a booklet that is made for Oregon residents. I think they have one for other states too. This is called the Oregon Guide to Medigap, Medicare Advantage, and Prescription Drug Plans. It shows the various companies that operate in Oregon and their health plans and costs. It helps to talk to someone of knowledge before you try to travel down this curvy path called Medicare.

No comments: