Sunday, October 12, 2008

A Trip to John Day


The morning dawned with a spectacular sunrise edtion for the girls and me to enjoy on our morning walk, although I think they are more into smells than sights. We decided to drive up to John Day to further check the area out. It's about a 65 mile trip north of Burns on Hwy 395 over a pass of 5154 feet and through a couple of great canyons. You come to Canyon City first, which is aptly named because it is in a ........ Gold was discover there in 1862 and it was a boomtown until about 1880. Not much evidence of mining is left. You have to keep a sharp eye out for tailings, etc. A couple of neat antique shops, though. We bought some cool stuff for the homestead house at the Sod House Ranch. Hit a couple more shops in John Day, had lunch and then stopped at Skiens, which is a yarn, wool, spinning store in JD. Teresa is the owner and very enjoyable. She has provided me with information and hints to help me get going with spinning. It is her ram, The Brick, who provided my first wool to spin on my drop spindle. If you are ever in Canyon City, stop by here store. It's right on Hwy 395 across from the library.

No comments: